30.9.14

Self-drafted in September

IMG_4710

IMG_4698
September was a busy month - a trip to Palestine, amongst other things, kept me away from my sewing machine.
But this dress was one good sewing achievement this month. It is a self-drafted pattern based on a mix of features rubbed off of existing garments I own.

To say I'm happy with this dress would be an understatement - I love when you make something that reminds you why you started to make your own clothes in the first place. And the fabric - I'm not actually sure how to describe it! It hangs well, it is a synthetic mix of sorts but it is comfortable and breathable to wear - and it is a lovely shade of deep orange, oh and there are TEAPOTS all over it. I bought it a few months ago at the Marché des Abattoirs in Anderlecht.

I love the shape of this dress - it is kind of everything I could want, it feels dressed up and dressed down at the same time, it's comfy and loosefitting yet there is a lot of 'structure' going on, with the front bodice waist yoke panel, the peplum bit and the split flappy sleeves. And did I mention the teapots already?

I also have to mention this amazing Coletterie 'How to sew a baby hem' tutorial. Without being too dramatic, learning this technique was one of this month's highlights for me. Looking forward to a future full of fearless hemming.

IMG_4716
IMG_4717

Now for an avalanche of photos of me prancing around in the street...

IMG_4702

IMG_4703

IMG_4704

IMG_4705

IMG_4706

IMG_4707

IMG_4708

IMG_4709

8 comments :

  1. Love it - amazing drafting! Definitely something to be proud of! The sleeves are gorgeous. Plus TEAPOTS! You win at fabric selection :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! TEAPOTS for the win! :) Need to get me some more fabric like this!

      Delete
  2. Amazing!! Teapots for the win indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yeah all my other clothes seem so boring now!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Love the fabric and the pattern fits you like a glove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I wish I had so much more of this fabric!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is just gorgeous (especially the peplum!) And that fabric...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I like the peplum a lot - sometimes I feel like a lampshade though!

    ReplyDelete