12.6.13

Reviewing recent makes

Here are a few of the things I have made over the last few months since I upped the ante on my sewing. I'm pleased with them all in different ways as while they are far from perfect I learned from each experience.

Orange and yellow dress
DSCF7134
I made the pattern loosely based on a dress I made a few years ago with my Mum (Simplicity 9446, from her teenage pattern collection!). The main things I learned were that the while I think the fabric colours go well together they don't match at all in terms of weight. I made some bias tape but I didn't, err, cut it on the bias, or in a very straight line for that matter, and I really rushed to sew it in, the result being that it looks pretty shoddy.

Orange and brown dress
DSCF7149
I'm quite fond of this dress! It was my first attempt at inserting a lining and a zip together. I made the pattern using a basic block I had made up and then drafting a skirt to go with it. The brown fabric was an old pillowcase!

Blue dress with orange zip
DSCF7140
Same pattern as above. I didn't press the seams well enough.

Colette Sorbetto top
DSCF7144
I loved making this top! The fabric is a cotton lawn I bought at Gare du midi market one Sunday. I really took my time and tried to pay attention to achieving a clean finish. I made my own bias tape too. I should make this top up in a multitude of colours as it is really nice and simple to wear. Also seems like the perfect pattern to try out some adaptions: a peter pan collar and some capped sleeves, perhaps?

No comments :

Post a Comment