Fleamarket fancy


Sharing my latest make, hot off the sewing machine! I found this fabric in the fleamarket a few months ago and thought it would be perfect for a shirt. It is a green cotton with a black and white embroidered grid detail. I used the Classic Shirt pattern from the Modern Sewing Company. This is my second make from that pattern (see my last post for my first version).




I really enjoyed playing around with the pattern placement on the fabric to decide where I wanted the stripe detailing to sit, and I'm really happy with how it looks on the collar and the continuation across the front onto the arms.


Sewing the sleeve plackets was a nice adventure and I had not done anything like that in a while so it was a good challenge. The instructions advise you to interface the whole placket piece, next time I will just interface the 'middle' part and not the whole piece as I think it is a bit bulky.


On the front button stand I used green buttons (which came from my neighbour's secret attic button stash - no joke - I found out he has a lifetime's supply of buttons and thread in the attic, which have unfortunately since been given away to a friend of his, but I did get to stock up a bit first before the boxes were taken away!). I didn't have enough of the green buttons so I used white ones on the cuffs.


I like that it feels oversized and comfy but it still feels like it fits me. As you can see in the pictures, it looks quite different whether tucked in or out. Can't wait to wear it out and about!







Bonus shot of the burrito method mid-construction! IMG_4766

No comments :

Post a Comment