1940s meta dress


As the new year begins, I’m going to post some makes from the previous one which have yet to see the light of day on the blog. First up is this dress which I made by rubbing off a pattern from a top made by my Mum years ago, which feels very ‘meta’ – self-referential sewing pattern drafting?


Don’t worry, I’m not hanging about on my roof in jelly shoes on this snowy day in early January – photo taken in the summer!

To make it into a dress I simply traced off the top and lengthened the side seams. I’ve always loved the top because to me it feels quite 1940s – due the slightly puffed shoulder, the impression of shaping round the bust, and the functional feel of the cinched-in tied waist, so I wanted to make a similar style dress.


If I make this again I will pay a bit more attention to the shape of the side seams rather than simply just lengthening them. You can’t really tell on the photos but the way it hangs is just slightly too clingy for my liking. But all in all I was really happy with this make and have got quite a bit of wear out of it.

The fabric is the same fabric I used to make this dress. I’ve still got loads of it so it probably won’t be the last item like this in my wardrobe!




No comments :

Post a Comment